I Need Some Fresh Eyre

In which Ms. Blue Jeans balances bohemian with bourgeois and tries to live the Snoopy dance.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, VA, United States

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Attention to T Tales

The sunshine feels exceptional in a city. As I walk around I feel lucky, as if nature had snuck in through a back door we had all thought was sealed up with asphalt -- a circumstance which seems reassuringly happily ever after, the buildings painted bright like the castle at the end of Beauty and the Beast, visual affirmation that everything will be all right and that everyone around you is in on it, too. A round-faced woman smiles when I held the door of Dunkin' Donuts for her; a hollow-cheeked man selling warm-colored intricate paintings in the Porter Square T station tells me I deserved to be spoiled, and that meant to lie on a red brocade chaise longue in front of a fire, my belly stretched for stroking, like the cat in one of his pictures. Maybe I do. But the day feels divorced from merit; the glory is that we none of us really deserve the generous yellow everywhere of summer's open-handed end, and we know it. Serendipity is comforting, I think, even to the irreligious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home